Walking Ireland – Mourne Wall Hike
The Mourne wall is a 1.5 meter high wall stretching for 32 km across fifteen mountains in the Mourne mountain range. The mountains range in height between 332 meters and 850 meters. Slieve Donard being the highest mountain in the mountain range. The wall took eighteen years to build and was built to designate a catchment area for the silent valley Reservoir. It disects the mountains bringing those that choose to walk it to the peak of every mountain.
This is not a stroll in the country but a serious endurance test. Two of the guys from our company did it as training for climbing Mount Blanc and said that it was one of the most challenging tests they had ever faced. The amount of ascents and descents one after the other grinds your willpower down.
The mountains of Mourne are a designated area of outstanding natural beauty and the views while doing this hike make it a rewarding experience. Many hikers break this expedition into two camping overnight. We would recommend this as it makes it a lot more doable and a little more enjoyable.
Route; The Route is circular in nature and takes in 15 mountains
- Slievenaglogh 445 m (1,460 ft)
- Slieve Muck 674 m (2,211 ft)
- Cairn Mountain 587 m (1,926 ft)
- Slieve Loughahannagh 619 m (2,031 ft)
- Slieve Meelbeg 708 m (2,323 ft)
- Slieve Meelmore 684 m (2,244 ft)
- Slieve Bearnagh 727 m (2,385 ft)
- Slievenaglogh 586 m (1,923 ft)
- Slieve Corragh 691 m (2,267 ft)
- Slieve Commedagh 765 m (2,510 ft)
- Slieve Donard 850 m (2,790 ft)
- Rocky Mountain 525 m (1,722 ft)*
- Slieve Binnian 747 m (2,451 ft)
- Wee Binnian 460 m (1,510 ft)
- Moolieve 332 m (1,089 ft)
We recommend starting in Donnard and heading to your left as this breaks your water refill areas into the appropriate distance to take full advantage.
- wear appropriate hiking clothing and boots
- Bring a proper durable hiking tent (winds can get very strong)
- Bring plenty of water ( it is very easy to underestimate the amount of water needed and there are 2 areas to refill your supply) We would recommend a minimum of two liters and suggest 3 liters.
- Start in Donnard. This helps with the spacing of your water refill points.
- Only attempt this if you have good fitness and endurance levels.
A very good and comprehensive guide can be downloaded here